Here is a time line of the Book of Mormon:
1. First compiled by Mormon on a set of gold plates around 400 AD from a collection of Nephite historical records that spans about 1000 years. The Nephite record was first started by Lehi about 600 BC and finished by Moroni, who was the son of Mormon, in about 421 AD.
2. This record was buried by Moroni in a hill near Palmyra, New York in 421 AD. Later, he would appear as the Angel Moroni to a young Joseph Smith in 1823 to show him where he buried the records.
3. In 1827 after Joseph Smith received the gold plates, he spent the next 3 years translating the Book of Mormon.
4. First published on March 26, 1830 in Palmyra, New York in English. 5,000 copies were published by E. B. Grandin.
5. As of 2005, there are 104 different language editions now in print, including 74 full editions of the Book of Mormon and 30 editions of Selections from the Book of Mormon. Each year since, more international editions have been published.
For more information on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints go to
To download a free Book of Mormon for your computer go to the downloads page.